If you had the chance to listen to our podcast (hopefully it’s a yes for most of you), although our guests are all in different fields, you will notice some similarities in their journey. The most common quality being the essence of fostering relationships from early on in their careers. One of the deepest experiences in life is the human connection. The relationship between one another is extremely significant to one’s success. It is important to have healthy relationships, whether it is at work, home, family, friends… (You see where I’m going with this), because that will equate to a happier life and that my friends it is a fact. One of the most valuable life skills is developing and building relationships, I guarantee you in due time it will get you exactly where you need to be.
Here are some quick tips that I’ve learned from a specialist in modern life skills and life itself:
- Make sure that the relationship you have with yourself is a positive one: are you happy? If not find your happiness, otherwise your relationships with everyone else is already starting off bad and tainted.
- Accept and celebrate the fact that we are all different: keep an open mind of difference; God did not just create you!
- Actively listen to hear what other people have to say: you have a lot to learn from others and their experiences. Less talking more listening.
- Give people time and be present when you are with them (please refer to previous blogpost: disconnect to reconnect)
- Develop and work on your communication skills: Communication is a two way street some of us forget that. Do not assume anything. Also, sometimes you might think your message is getting across but little did you know that your delivery might have been ineffective.
- Learn to give and take constructive criticism: you’re going to need it in order to grow, otherwise why are you doing it if you’re not open to feedback, which ultimately will contribute to your growth?
- Find the courage to trust: not everyone has bad intention or ill will, some want to see you win and get to the next level!
- Learn to be more understanding and empathetic: again everyone is different accept it and learn to deal with it, the idea of my way or the highway needs to be thrown out the window.
- Treat people as you would like to be treated, karma is real be sensitive to others, you never know when you will need them again so don’t burn any bridges.
“People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.”